Monday 30 January 2017

My Mini Break In Dublin Part 1 (The Food)

My sister lives in Dublin so last year when there was a sale on flights, Mum & I bagged a long week-end trip via Ryan Air for a whole £58 return each!  We flew Thursday evening and returned Sunday night.  It was a proper girly week-end with lots of laughs, amazing food, shopping, make-up talk and more importantly for me, no time limits or school runs to do.  It really was a wonderful trip.  My sister completely spoiled us and took us to the nicest restaurants so I thought I'd share some snaps on here in case anyone was thinking of going.  I even managed a glass of wine with one meal and Kir Royale with another (I really don't drink - especially wine or champagne but I decided it was a real treat week-end and I was going to try the whole ladies that lunch thing.  That being said, I still don't like wine!).  

First up was a 6 course tasting menu at Forest Avenue unless you know about this place you wouldn't find it as it's of the beaten track.  I was mesmerised watching the chefs at work. Growing up with a chef as a father has always left it's mark on food for my family, we are proper 'foodies'.  I have never done this kind of thing before, where literally you don't know what you get until it's served.  However you can tell them if there's anything you don't like, I specified Octopus (there was none anyway) and venison which they swapped for mackerel.  The portions were just so that we walked about not absolutely stuffed and unable to function for the day - it was utter perfection and I really would highly recommend you pay this husband and wife duo a visit.  

Due to my current home renovations my eye is always on the decor at the moment.  This caught my attention as soon as I walked through the door - how gorgeous is this!
Obligatory 'arty' shot.  These were the only two pieces of glam that day, it was warmth all the way for the rest of the outfit.
There were more 'snacks' and courses I failed to take snaps of as they were eaten far too quickly!  Clockwise from top left (and my memory!) some breads, goats cheese & mushroom pesto of sorts to start, savoury doughnuts, John Dory with spinach and I just can't remember the last but it was delicious!
It's not often that artwork captures me but this did.  It was done especially for the owners by Paul Hughes.
Best mackerel I've ever eaten.  I can't tell you the rest of what was on the plate but it was devoured in nano seconds. 
Pudding loveliness.  Literally.  
The most perfect natural mint tea and sandstone work tops which I also fell for (now on the hunt for for my kitchen!)
The head chef (& owner) came over to talk to us and bought these mini doughnuts.  Oh.  My.  Goodness.  I say no more. 
The next day we went to a Michelin guide restaurant called The Pigs Ear.  This time it was a 2 course meal and similar to the above, I wasn't left full to bursting which I really don't enjoy, it kind of ruins a meal for me.  I think I've set my standards quite high now, a la carte tasting menu's all the way for me.......

Goats cheese, carrots, yumminess etc etc.
Chicken, parsnips, bread and butter sauce, crispy bacon and some blackcurrants thrown in for goos measure. 
We finished the weekend with Afternoon Tea at The Shelbourne, being serenaded by a pianist of course.  The staff were all so friendly and it was a lovely way to end our 3 days together before our flight.  Naturally knowing One Direction had stayed there made me feel like I'd been in good company as well as the Elemis toiletries in the bathrooms (yes, it's the little things).



The cakes were all based around paintings done by Michael Flatley which also adorned the walls around us.  
Just to get your mouth watering....

The chandelier of all chandeliers.  
A matcha latte - it was so good and perked me up as I was feeling a little tired.  
We didn't notice these flowers when we came in for some reasons but stopped to admire them on our way out.  
So after being treated like Queens all week-end, sharing my sister's La Mer and La Prairie toiletries it's back to reality with a bang and school runs, dinners, clubs etc.  However it was a welcome break and one I won't forget in a hurry.  It really is good for us Mummy's to take a step back at times, have a long hot bath, not run around like headless chickens and talk without being interrupted.  Strangely enough after lots of make-up chat with my Mum one of the first things I did when I got to my sisters was wash all my makeup brushes - a job that I never make time for at home!

I decided to break this post up as there were so many food pictures if I added purchases and outfits into the mix you'd be reading forever and who has time for that!?!  So part duex will be up shortly!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...