Monday 15 November 2010

Back to Basics




So, I felt the need to just re-cap and re-fresh exactly what I am doing here (even if for my own benefit in those times when my head is just a fuzz!). I wasn't the best dressed child by far, but my earliest memory is my black patent leather shoes which my dear Mother refused to let me wear to school. They were my pride and joy and boy did they make me feel special.
That is where I still am today. Some people think fashion & style are a waste of time, energy and money etc, blah blah blah. I think differently. I think that even more so in our era, feeling positive about ourselves is a necessity. Think about how much more confident you feel in a suit all you business woman out there - that's power dressing. Now apply this to everything. Painted nails make me feel more feminine, more together. Weird to some of you I know, but it works for me. I wanted to start something to share this. I am not a high fashion chick by a long shot, I have a 3 year old daughter - those outfits would just not work practically or financially. But I enjoy putting outfits together, finding great deals, enjoying special purchases.
My 'thing' is probably handbags. Yes, I have a fair old few. And a separate closet just for them! Madness, waste of money I hear you say! But look, I don't spend a lot on my hair, nor have a gym membership nor spend a fortune on designer clothes. Handbags, on the other hand, I could spend thousands on and still think it was an investment in my daughters 'vintage' future!
I read an article by Hilary Rose in Elle magazine which just reminded me exactly why I am doing this. She was fighting cancer yet put all her energy into her wardrobe. She couldn't control what was going on on the inside, but could on the outside. I applaud her attitude, braveness and general spunk. Now that is passion for fashion through and through! A few quotes to give you an idea; "Clothes are my defence. They're an investment in the future that will be mine". "After one particularly evil bout of chemotherapy, the sight of the scarlet Manolo spikes gave me heart"
In an era where woman are working even harder to multi task careers, parenting, relationships and home making, it is even more important to make our esteem as high as possible and this I believe is aided by Fashion and Style.
There is a method behind my sometimes seemingly madness!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...